Thursday, January 16, 2020

Day 3: Grand Turk on the Carnival Magic

Having these port days that allow us to sleep in are nice! I've written before how port days usually mean we have to get up "early" and get going. With these later arrivals, we get the best of both worlds. Much like our previous port, we didn't have anything specific planned for Grand Turk. Our esteemed group leader, Josh, planned our first official meet and greet in the morning before we arrived at the pier. 

After our traditional "first breakfast" on the balcony, Cindy and I made our way to the nightclub lounge on deck 5 to meet up with the rest of the Big Sexy cruisers. As usual, Josh lit up the room with his presence and gave us our official welcome to Big Sexy Flashback Voyage  III. He presented each of us with a customized beach towel and gave an overview of what we could expect for the rest of the week. You can take the man out of the CD position, but you can't take the CD out of the man....at least for Josh. And that's not a bad thing. Having wrapped up our meet and greet, the group broke up to start their day. 



Welcome to Grand Turk
photo by Cindy Newman


We took our time getting ready, to allow everyone who had excursions to get off the ship first. No need standing in long lines when we can relax in our cabin for a few minutes. About half an hour later we proceeded to deck 0, where the gangway was located and stepped onto the pier. Our plan was to hit Margaritaville first, relax in the pool and decide from there what we'd do next. Since we knew Margaritaville had a pool, we were already dressed in swimwear. Let's see what kind of fun we can have.

Ouch!
photo by Cindy Newman


There are several Margaritaville locations scattered throughout the Caribbean, including Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Montego Bay (Jamaica). Each location has a unique parrot sculpture reflecting the local flavor. If you happen to be a Parrothead, you might find a blog I wrote about my top 20 Jimmy Buffett songs interesting. Just click here.



Margaritaville Grand Cayman
photo by Cindy Newman

See what I mean about the "local flavor?" With all the pirate lore surrounding the Cayman Islands, I'm sure it was only natural that this parrot was dressed the way it was. Wouldn't it be ironic if there was a tiny pirate on its shoulder?

Cindy let me goof around for the camera then we went inside to see if we could find any interesting souvenirs to take home. We did! Cindy found a nice t-shirt and I found a pretty Christmas ornament for our tree. 

Hey, let's head outside to the pool, grab a frozen concoction, and have a little fun. Amazingly we found an empty table, in the shade, right by the pool! Even better, we didn't have to wait long before a roving server came by to take our drink orders. 


Parrothead's Paradise
photo by Cindy Newman

As tasty as their food is, we were still full from breakfast, so we opted for liquid refreshments only. We could always change our minds later if the mood struck us. Also, we had reservations at the steakhouse on the ship for dinner. Based on yesterday's experience, Cindy ordered another dreamcickle and I selected a frozen margarita. How could I not? "When in Rome..." OK, When in Margaritaville...


My frozen concoction


Ahhh, nice and tasty! And I didn't even need to find my salt shaker. It was already on the table. Seriously, it was! Yes, the pepper shaker was there, too. Yeah, I know. If I could make a living as a professional comedian, I would. I'll keep my day job. I'll refresh my drink and hop in the pool. Wanna join me?


Tourists covered in oil?
photo by Cindy Newman


Such refreshing water! A hot, humid day and here we were, taking a dip in the pool, in Margaritaville. Life is good! Time seemed to fly by and after enjoying the water, music, and drinks, we decided to head back to the ship. This would allow time to shower and a light lunch. Maybe I could even squeeze in a short nap on the balcony. 


Magic and Conquest


The Conquest was tied up alongside our ship today, and it brought back fond memories. Our first cruise ever and first three Carnival cruises were on the Conquest. She's a beautiful ship, especially when it comes to her interior decoration. Good to see you again, Conquest, if only from the outside.



Photographing the photographer


Carnival provides tons of photo ops, especially at the ports. Positioned just off the gangway, there are photographers with a port-specific display like above ready to take your photo. Typically, Cindy and I just smile and say "no thank you" as we exit the ship. Many take advantage of the opportunity, and will happily pose for their photo op. Good for them. 

Usually, these photographers aren't busy later in the day and are just standing around waiting for someone who wants their photo taken. Just for fun, I'll ask them to pose for a photo, and I have yet to find any of them who don't do this with a big smile. The most enthusiastic response I found was our port stop in La Romana when we were on the Carnival Vista. Check out their photo from my blog here. Don't worry you won't lose your place in this blog. Go ahead, check it out.

With breakfast on the balcony several hours in the past, we picked a good spot on Lido for an afternoon snack. Many were still ashore, so there were short to no lines at most dining venues. I took advantage of this and snagged a Guy's burger. Believe it or not, this was just my first Guy's burger of the trip. 



I'll have a Pig Patty, please


Just one, I reminded myself, just one. Steakhouse reservations, remember? Yes, but... 

Steakhouse reservations!

OK, OK, just one. Sheesh!

In all seriousness, I wouldn't consider eating more than one Guy's burger at a time. They are delicious, but one is plenty, I assure you, especially with those yummy fries. Cindy got a sandwich from the deli, which was a chicken tikka masala style. She thought it was pretty good for what it was trying to accomplish. "The bread was a bit chewy," she commented after finishing her lunch.

Cindy's sandwich


Now that we had lunch, we returned to our cabin to relax a little before showering and getting dressed for dinner. It was already dark by the time we departed Grand Turk, so there was no point in trying to see anything on deck. No worries, though. As soon as we had showered and got ready for dinner, we left the cabin a little early and dropped by the Alchemy Bar for a pre-dinner cocktail. Yes, I had another Cucumber Sunrise, and it was sooooo good!

The steakhouse is on the same deck (deck 5) as the Alchemy Bar and just a short walk down the passageway. We were about 10 minutes early for our reservation, but they seated us immediately anyway. Both of us enjoy the steakhouse and try to dine there at least once on each cruise. Those who have read my previous cruise blogs can attest to how much we enjoy this experience because I always include it in my blog.

Change is inevitable, and I was a bit disappointed to see that Carnival had changed the steakhouse menu, eliminating my favorite appetizer and cut of steak. It's ok, though, as the alternatives were still quite satisfying. Ready to join us? Have a seat!


Bread plate


My fondness for all things bread is well known, and this bread plate definitely fit the bill. A little wisdom is called for and even though more bread would be provided upon request, I decided to have just this one serving. I didn't want to fill up on bread when we had such other delicious food coming.


Amuse-bouche


As is typical for a fine dining setting, we were treated to an amuse-bouche after placing our order. Tonight's amuse-bouche was creamy potato soup inside a hollowed-out baked potato. Even being a single bite, it was packed with flavor and set the stage for an enjoyable meal.



Appetizer: Baked Onion Soup
Gruyere & Swiss Melt, Sour Dough Crouton


Always a favorite, this soup is served hot....very hot. In fact, it's so hot that you need to let it cool a bit before tasting it. This rich, savory soup would be perfect after a day spent outside in the cold. Or on a cruise ship in the Caribbean. I'd be happy either way.


Appetizer: Stuffed Mushroom Caps
Spinach, Four Cheese, Mushroom Tea & Parmesan Pearl


Cindy chose this appetizer, and particularly enjoyed it. I'm averse to any sort of fungi for my food. And no, I don't even care for "mushrooms on half the pizza." Nope, even one of those....things on my pizza and it is contaminated. Oh, don't roll your eyes! I know at least some of y'all reading this are nodding your head in agreement. Lemme hear from you, my fellow fungi haters.


Main: Spice-Rubbed USA Prime Ribeye
Five Fifty-Five Signature 18 oz. Center Cut Ribeye



I ordered my ribeye medium with a three-mustard sauce. It was seasoned and cooked perfectly! Almost fork-tender, every bite was simply divine! My steak was so good that the three-mustard sauce was unnecessary for anything other than one more layer of flavor.


Side: Yukon Gold Mash
Yukon Gold Mash with Wasabi Horseradish



Of all the side dishes Carnival offers in their steakhouse, this mashed potato dish is my absolute, number one favorite. I could make a meal just off a large bowl of this creamy, silky-smooth flavor explosion. I've tried to replicate it at home with minimal success. I can get in the ballpark but realize I just have to enjoy the real thing once per year on a Carnival ship. Yes, I am making a big deal out of a mere side dish. It's that good! Period.


Dessert: Chocolate Sphere
Warm Cocoa Cream Custard Deconstructs This Treat Before Your Eyes.
Served With Pear Comfit & Delicate Praline Pate


Chocolate fans will love this dish. Just beware, though, that the "warm cocoa cream custard" tends to splash if you get too aggressive with your spoon, especially while it is still warm. I didn't perceive a strong pear taste, but that's ok with me. It wasn't a "deal-breaker" if I didn't get punched in the mouth with a strong pear flavor. Leftovers? Ummm, no.

Another wonderful steakhouse experience and we returned to our cabin to change back into our normal cruise wear of shorts and t-shirts. With the ever-popular Love and Marriage Show coming up, and another session of Cigars Under the Stars, I wanted to make sure I was in "max comfort" mode. I was. Well, other than being full from a fantastic dinner. 

Cindy was ready to just relax in the cabin, so I attended the Love and Marriage Show and Cigars Under the Stars without her. Well, hold on a minute. The weather wasn't being too cooperative for CUtS, so we modified it to DUtL, or Drinks Under the Lights. We grabbed a bunch of chairs just outside the Red Frog Pub on deck 5 and had a grand ol' time hanging out and yukking it up. 

Did you know with Carnival's HUB app you can order a pizza and have it delivered to anywhere on the ship? It's true! Now it'll cost $5 per pizza, but if that's worth the convenience, then by all means take advantage of it. And we did.

"Wait a minute. Didn't you just write how full you were after dinner? And you then got some pizza??"

Well, yes. Dinner was already a few hours ago. Besides, tomorrow is a sea day, so why not stay up and have a good time? That's why we cruise. Josh ordered a few pizzas with his app, and the rest of us chipped in some cash to cover it.



The pizza is here!



The CD, Simon, happened to be walking by and we chatted with him briefly. Since the CD typically does a morning show on sea days, we all teased him with a "Be afraid, Simon, be very afraid. We're gonna crash your morning show tomorrow." I wasn't sure just how seriously he took us, but we did show up to the morning show the next day and it was epic.

Coming up next, our first "fun day at sea." You can jump right to it by clicking here.

Have you ever been to Grand Turk? What about any of Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville bars/restaurants? I'd love to hear all about it in the comments section below. 

For your convenience, here are links to the rest of the blogs in this series:

Big Sexy Returns to the Carnival Magic

Day 1: Embarkation

Day 2: Half Moon Cay



Until next time....



carpe cerevisi




6 comments:

  1. Love grand turk. Had a wonderful dive there and finish up at Jack’s Shack. Awesome folks, great food and drinks, and reasonably priced. We will miss Topher on our next visit there. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The previous two times we've been to GT we went straight to the dive shop, then got dropped off by the ship. I never got a chance to meet the famous Topher.

      Delete
  2. Yeah we’re all going to miss Topher... such an icon! He jumped on the dive boat with us last time and sweet Calypso was so distraught that he was leaving with us, we brought him back to her. I bet she’s really feeling the loss :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard so much about Topher, and was sorry we literally just missed meeting him. From all the photos I've seen online, he was quite the character.

      Delete
  3. That dinner! So many courses! I don't know if I could eat all that, but would enjoy trying! No medium rare on the steak? You like it pink? Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always tell people that book the steakhouse: Make sure you are hungry, as there is a LOT of food! Yeah, I like my steaks medium or so. This one was cooked perfectly. And those wasabi mashed potatoes? Ohhh, myyy!

    ReplyDelete