Friday, December 9, 2016

Meet Stumpy

Believe it or not, I’m typically not a “bandwagon” type of person. In fact, I try very hard not to go along with a given fad, just for the sake of joining all the others. Hairstyles, specific brands of jeans, and games/toys come to mind as fad items that I’ll just be content to let everyone else jump in on.

When Elf on the Shelf first appeared in 2005, I gave it its due regard and thought nothing more of it. I didn’t have any kids (I wasn’t even married then), and while friends of mine who were parents loved it, Elf wasn’t relevant to me.

I have no idea when creative people started posting photos of the elf doing rather more……ummmmm……exotic things. A quick Google search on “Elf on the Shelf” and “Creative” will show some of the more tame photos. I’ll leave it up to you to find the photos that are definitely wilder, and totally NOT work friendly. Many of these are genius, and I wish I had that level of creativity.

So, this year my sister Victoria gave me an Elf to have some “crazy photo fun” with. I guess it’s time for me to hop aboard the bandwagon now and see what mischief ol’ Stumpy can come up with. I’ve already posted some photos on Facebook, and wanted to take a little time to give credit where credit is due. I’m referring specifically to the name I chose for him: Stumpy Curlyshoe.

Meet Stumpy Curlyshoe


Now, first of all, as a name for an elf, “Stumpy Curlyshoe” is simply brilliant! The original Stumpy was one of Santa’s disgruntled elves, from the comedic minds of the Stevens and Pruett Show (Mark Stevens and Jim Pruett) on KLOL back in the 90’s. “S&P” would feature Stumpy during the Christmas season, often as part of their Uncle Waldo radio drama they did. Who’s Uncle Waldo? Well, rather than trying to describe this insanely funny vignette, I’ve included a YouTube link featuring a Thanksgiving Uncle Waldo here. This is a typical example of an Uncle Waldo segment. Listeners to the show ("Groove Dogs") would actually write a script and send it in, and S&P would perform them on the air. Heck, even I had one of my scripts featured.....Uncle Waldo: Teenage Doctor Type Person.

Stevens and Pruett….the Radio Gawdz
image from Google

I wanted to especially mention another vital member of the S&P team: Brian Shannon. He’s the third person in the video above, and went by the character name of “Eddie ‘The Boner’ Sanchez” on the show. Eddie, or “Bone Daddy” as he was sometimes called, completed the Triumvirate of Hoot (my term, by the way), and these three would keep me laughing throughout their entire morning show. Of course there were several other personalities featured on the S&P Show (Correct, radio gawdz!), but those three did the lion’s share of the show. Sadly, Mr. Shannon is the only one left of that wonderful comedy team. Bonus points (Not to be confused with "Bonus words and phrases," but that's a whole 'nother story.) if you got that other subtle reference I threw in.

Mr. Shannon, if you're reading this, I'd love to buy you lunch one day and interview you for my blog, like I did with Mutzie and a few others. Just contact me here, in the comments section below, or on Facebook. It would be fun.

Stevens, Pruett, and The Boner
Photo courtesy of Brian Shannon

That, in a nutshell, is how my elf got his name. I wish I could take credit for such a brilliant moniker, but the credit goes solely to S&P. I’ve already had fun posting a few photos of Stumpy getting into trouble. I’m sure there will be plenty more before Christmas has come and gone.




Stumpy snorts some coffee



At least he has good taste in rum…


Do you have any comments or suggestions on what Stumpy should do next? I’d love to hear about them! Please let me know in the comments section below.


Until next time……

carpe cerevisi

No comments:

Post a Comment