Monday, October 30, 2017

Three Tales of Terror

Has it already been a year? Once again my friend and author Eric Douglas is hosting a flash fiction event on his website for Halloween. For my new readers, or those not familiar with it, flash fiction is a short story.....very short.....of exactly 100 words (excluding title). That's all we writers get, no more, no less. I find this to be wayyyy more challenging than a standard short story. Why? Even a short story gives me the luxury of being descriptive. Flash fiction forces me to cut the story to its very essence.

My first foray into flash fiction was around this time last year when Eric invited me to participate in his 2016 Halloween flash fiction event. He collected stories from several writers and hosted them on his website here. Take a look, then be sure to read this year's collection, which you can find here.


image from Google search

I decided to write three stories this year, my own "trilogy of terror," so to speak. Yes, three, and the number of the counting shall be three. I hope you enjoy reading them as much as I did writing them.







Bedtime stories

“That was good, daddy, read me another one!”

Caleb glanced at his watch, then at his daughter. “OK, my angel, just one more and that’s it. If mom finds out, we’ll both be in trouble.”

“Once upon a time…”

Sara stirred from a restless sleep and heard her husband’s voice in the next room.

Not again, she thought, this needs to stop. Now!

Sara walked into the next room. “What the hell are you doing?” she demanded.

“Just reading to our daughter,” he replied defensively.

Sara shook her head. “This isn’t healthy, Caleb. You know she died two years ago.”



Daddy's angel?
image from Google search







My confession

AN OPEN LETTER TO THE WORLD:

I’m so sorry! 

If you are reading this, YOU are affected, too! I had the best of intentions, really. That damned Ouija board! It lied to me. Again.

They are coming for you, for all of us. There’s no escape.

They will be disguised as children, trick-or-treating, but they’re NOT children. They’re not even human. They ARE hungry, though.

I don’t know how many I released, that the Ouija board released, but even one is too many.

What have I done, besides condemning us all to unimaginable horror?

It’s my fault.

Please forgive me.


Trick or Treat!
image from Google search







Chubbs the Clown

Chubbs glanced at his phone and checked the address. I can’t believe I’m reduced to doing a slumber party at midnight, he groused to himself, but work is work. Those little bastards better behave themselves.

He checked his makeup, got out of his van and rang the doorbell. A pale, gaunt man greeted him with a grin.

“Welcome,” he said, “my children have been waiting. Right this way.”

He shut and locked the heavy door behind them.

“Time to feast, my darlings!”


Several creatures, fangs bared, poured into the room and set upon Chubbs, their special treat for the night.

Hungry kids
image from Google search



Well, what did you think? I'm left wondering, though, if they thought Chubbs tasted funny. Go ahead, it's OK to groan. I just had to say it.

I truly hoped you enjoyed these stories. Please let me know, in the comments section below, what you thought. I appreciate all feedback, good or bad.

By the way, just like I did in my last blog, I threw in a couple more subtle movie references. Did you catch either or both of them? Bonus points to the first person who comments below with the correct answer to both. I'll even add a special shout out to you in my next blog. Sorry, Bart, but you aren't eligible. You know why. I had fun doing that, and have had a few tell me they enjoyed finding those little Easter eggs.

Stay tuned, my dear readers, I still have soooo much more to share with y'all in the coming weeks. Be on the lookout for many more posts from now until the end of the year.


Until next time.......



carpe cerevisi

No comments:

Post a Comment